Monday 22 November 2010

A rescued failure

I have been making cakes of all sorts for too many years that I care to remember but I have never ever made successful florentines.  On Saturday afternoon as the weather was awful I thought I'll have another go.  I found a recipe and followed it to the letter (not something I do very often).  I measured everything really carefully, set the oven as instructed - even heating it up first and cooked them for exactly the time stated.  Result - disaster!  They spread out all over the tin and stuck fast.  With a huge amount of hacking I managed to separate them from the tin in thousands of pieces but undeterred decided I could use then for florentine ice cream!  It was delicious though somewhat chewy - too much florentine and not enough ice cream I think.  The first picture is what they should have looked like, the second one is the "bits" and the third picture is the ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. well the ice cream looks nice!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they were still edible! We would have eaten them in any form!

    ReplyDelete